Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bailan sin César

31 Minutos is a Chilean television show for kids. It's kind of like Sesame Street in that it is educational and promotes positive social values (and there are puppets!). Its target audience is perhaps slightly older and the humor is more sophisticated, however. In fact, there are many jokes that teenagers and adults will appreciate much more than its younger viewers. I was first introduced to 31 Minutos from a Chilean friend while living in Spain and this was the very first video he showed me. It's still my favorite!

It helps to understand that the title "Bailan sin César" is a play on words. It can read "Dance Without Caesar" or "Dance Without Stopping" since the name César (Caesar) and the word cesar (to stop) are pronounced almost exactly the same.


Tell me what you think about the video. Are there any Spanish words or phrases that you were able to understand? Do you think you learned any new words or phrases from watching this? Was there something that made you laugh?

6 comments:

  1. Uh it was kind of hard understand because I can hardly understand spanish speaking. Spanish singing is even harder. I made out one phrase "Yo cado" I'm not sure if I spelt that write bit I think it means I want. I thought the monkey dancing on his head was funny and I thought the puppet that hit the other puppet was also funny. One of the monkeys was doing graffiti isn't that a bad message to kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video is basically a Spanish Seasame Street. I was not able to undertsand a single word that they said because I don't speak Spanish fluently. All of it made me laugh because the puppets moved very oddly which was very funny. I noticed that one of the puppets/monkeys was making graffiti, isn't that a bad example for young kids who are watching this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this video from last year. Although the spanish graffiti might not be a good symbol, i do not believe that it was meant to teach graffiti or that it sets a bad example for children watching this that might be learning spanish. How ever i do understand the point that the monkeys are trying to make. They do not want to dance with Cesar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niki 803 Said....
    (i chose anonymouse because i wasn't sure which other to use...)

    I also remember this video from last year. I think its really funny to watch but it is kind of hard to understand the spanish words they're speaking. I looked up what bailin sin cesar means on google and it means dance with out cesar, i'm not quite sure what that means exactly but maybe if i understood all the words i would understand it better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cameron B. 803
    I thought that this video was hilarious! All the puppets were really funny, and I can see why they don't want to dance with César. He's such a good dancer i would be way to intimidated to dance with him. I learned the word "without" (sin) and i caught on that bailan means dance because i think last year we learned the word "bailar" means to dance. Very funny video!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake 704...
    I wasn't really able to understand a lot of it, but I just recently saw the Muppets movie so I did see a lot of the resemblance. I have a two year old brother so I end up watching a lot of his shows and I had a good time watching the spanish shows and thinking that it's not very different. I found this humor to portray a lot of really stupid things that have to be funny and make you smile, somewhat like when you have to do a staring contest and see who can not laugh for the longest. I enjoyed it but it was hard to follow along because I could't understand any of the words.

    ReplyDelete