Saturday, June 18, 2011

¡Felíz Día E!

Today is "El Día E" which is a day dedicated to the celebration of the Spanish language (español). The holiday has been fervently promoted by el Instituto Cervantes in the weeks leading up to today, with many Spanish-speaking celebrities appearing in videos discussing their favorite Spanish words. I decided to post the video featuring the writer Boris Izaguirre because as it turns out we have the same favorite Spanish word!!! Murciélago means "bat" (as in the flying rodent, not baseball bat). I remember laughing the first time I heard the word-- so many syllables needed to replace a one-syllable word in English! It is a beautiful word though, and as Izaguirre notes it contains all the vowels, meaning it has something for everyone! Check out similar videos and more information related to El Día E here.

Please leave a comment below about your own favorite Spanish word!

8 comments:

  1. t's such a coincidence that you both have the same favorite word. It is intteresting that the word bat "Murciélago" has all of the spanish vowels. My favorite spanish word is "neumonoultramicroscopicosiliciovolcanconiosi". At first I thought it wasn't a word but it is a lung disease. I love it because it is the longest spanish word (probably English too)

    SKAI <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite spanish word is y'tu. its one of the first one i have ever learned. its so simple, yet i can use it to keep a conversation going for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite word is Yo Tambien, even if I'm sure what the person I'm conversing with is saying I can keep repeating it and can seem so smart. Something else about it is that when I was making the comic strip I ended up using it a lot so I think that I really got used to it and liked it.
    JakeO. 704

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cameron B 803
    I think it's so cool that this is a real holiday! It reminds me of the Count on Sesame St. My favorite spanish word is caracol, because snails are very strange and if I were to bring it up in spanish conversation, it would provide a very entertaining response. I also like the word "caracol" because I read one of those kiddie books about it in class and it was very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite spanish word is probably "Yo" because I think it is hysterical that the word in spanish means I, but in English it is complete slang. I was so surprised when we learned that I=yo!

    Emily Zimmerman 703

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so amazing that there is a real holiday to celebrate the Spanish language! Spanish is such a beautiful language. My favorite Spanish word is guitarra. It is so similar to the word guitar but it has a musical ring (no pun intended) that is fun to say. Different languages fascinate me because they are so distinct and unique but can communicate the same things.

    -Mikaela K.
    704

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite spanish word is: Domingo!! The reason why is because I know that Domingo is a rest day, and also many people use the word Domingo as a persons name. It is a funny word. Hasta manana!!Maya Alony class:703 June 18th 2012

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew there was a holiday to celebrate the Spanish language, and it makes sense the Spanish language is amazing and beautiful, and i am happy to know there is a day celebrating it. My favorite word in Spanish is yo since it sounds like it should be you, but is I and it always confuses me but i love it, I know a little weird...

    - Catherine Kreider 802

    ReplyDelete